Saturday, March 26, 2016

Friday

I'm not going to have time to describe each of these in detail, especially since the stores along Main Street in Unionville/Markham were closed for Good Friday, so I didn't get to go in any place. These first pictures are taken from the theater stage where there's apparently a band performance each Friday and Saturday evening. There's a little square in the front, which I did not take pictures of, and there was also a slope and lawn of grass behind, where there were some lovely shrubs and benches. Maybe this is part of why the area is so popular in summer.

I'm not sure if any of you will have requests to have the full copy of the picture. I suspect maybe Blogspot compresses the images. So if you want any of these in full resolution, I will number each image and you can request it. I'll have the original on my phone.

1


2


3


4


5


6


7


8


9


10


11

After leaving Main Street, there was apparently a large pond about a minute's drive away.

12


13


14


15


16


17


18


19


20


21


22


23


24


25


26


27


28


29


30


31


32


33


34


35


36


37


38


39


40


41


42


43


44


45


46


47


48


49


50


51


52


53


54
That's a dog and squirrel statue, if you can't make out what's in the center.

After visiting the pond, we headed to dinner at a Hunan restaurant called Konner's Chinese. 
55
Chinese smoked bacon stir fried with chilies. This was not as spicy as my relatives had remembered it. Supposedly the hot chilies were not available this time of year, though of course, being skeptics, we assumed they were trying to keep costs down.

56
Pickled wild ginger. Crispy.


57
Dry pot with bamboo shoots. This was delicious and cooked with bacon. There was plenty of chili oil or bacon oil, whichever, at the bottom. It went well with rice.

58
Pork in Peking(?) sauce with some kind of wrap? It was a little bit sweet, which is not really how I prefer my meat.

59
Fish fillet consomme with preserved mustard and ginger. A pairing of sour vegetable and delicate umami flavor from fish and scallions and ginger.

60
Hunan cold noodles (top) and smoked fish (bottom). The cold noodles were tossed with peanuts and chili oil and sections of pickled long beans; every bit was delicious! The smoked fish was good too, but the way the meat broke off its texture was a bit stringy and got stuck in my teeth.

That's it for the week. I doubt I will have time to take more pictures of places before I leave. I've been doing a lot of shopping in malls (Eaton Center in downtown Toronto, Sherway Gardens in Etobicoke, and Square One in Mississauga), but I think people would get freaked out if I started acting like a tourist and took pictures there.



No comments:

Post a Comment